Backporting packages with different naming schemas in stable/testing

Hi there,

I want to backport a haskell package, haskell-csv.

The Debian Haskell Group changed naming schema after squeeze was
released. Previously packages were named libghc6-*-{dev,doc,prof} and
now they're named libghc-{dev,doc,prof}. The packaging helpers in stable
and testing expect these naming conventions, so the backport must follow
them — i.e. I must rename the packages for the backport.

For regular upgrades we've got a package haskell-dummy which provide all
the dummy packages users need to get them onto the new packages.
Obviously this won't work for bpo packages (since no dummy package will
exist in haskell-dummy for packages not in stable).

Is it OK for a backport to create "reverse dummy" packages itself to aid
tranitioning to the new naming schema? Like this:

  Package: libghc6-csv-dev
  Depends: libghc-csv-dev

and similar for prof/doc. libghc-csv-dev is a dummy package which will
get upgraded to the real package when the user upgrades to wheezy (as
its version number will be lower thanks to the bpo suffix).

However, nothing will cause the removal of libghc6-csv-dev on upgrade.
The dummy package could declare an appropriate >> Conflicts on
libghc6-csv-dev, though. Would that work?

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@debian.org ]