Re: Script for automatically backporting

On 10-12-11 12:59, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
Op 09-12-11 21:20, Thomas Goirand schreef:
On 12/09/2011 10:32 PM, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
I use sudo to give the normal user the right to use apt-get as root (see
the script). This has some security aspects. I expect it can be done
easily more secure then I do here, e.g. with a password in sudo, or by
using a special user for backporting.

Why not using pbuilder / cowbuilder /
$chroot-of-any-flavor-that-you-like, instead of installing  on the host
filesystem with sudo?

I think you are right, that would be better. But not sure I have the
time to rewrite the script. I am using now myself "PASSWD" in stead of
"NOPASSWD" in sudo, this works fine, but it asks for the password of the
user of cause.

Why don't you have a look at 'prevu', from Ubuntu? [1]

It needs some modifications to work with Debian, but those aren't too hard. It uses pbuilder to build, but it can also quite easily be modified to use cowbuilder, if that's your taste.

In my opinion the best way for backporting would be to automatically
make a stable-backport for every package what's uploaded to sid and to
add it to the backports when it enters testing. But that's another
discussion. Was there such a discussion in the past?

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=prevu

Best regards,
Martijn.