Re: zabbix backport

On 12/08/2011 10:17 PM, Mathieu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to, but as I'm not a developper, I don't know how to do it at all
>
> Mathieu

Hi Mathieu,

I don't want to teach you all here, but just few basic commands that
might help you to build your own (basic) backports (for your own usage).
Most of the time, it works out of the box, sometimes, it gets more
difficult (like, dependencies needing to be backported as well). But
basically, it's done like this:

# Prepare your box so that it can build:
apt-get install build-essential devscripts

Then find the package in SID. You can do that easily searching from
pacakges.debian.org. In this case:

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=zabbix&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

Click on the SID or testing, or even experimental link, depending on
what you want to backport. Most of the time, you'll want the testing or
SID version though. Then, that leads you to this page:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/zabbix-agent

Then you'd do:

# dget the source package
dget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/z/zabbix/zabbix_1.8.6-1.dsc
# extract the package
dpkg-source -x zabbix_1.8.6-1.dsc
# go in it and  build
cd zabbix-1.8.6
dpkg-buildpackage

If dpkg-buildpackage complains about dependencies, get them with apt. If
some build-dependencies are not in Squeeze (or need a newer version),
that's were it becomes tricky: sometimes, it gets recursive, and you
need to backport a lot of packages (build-dependencies or
build-dpendencies, etc.), but most of the time, it's up to doing one or
2 build-dependencies only. Sometimes also, you can just get the
build-dependencies from backports.debian.org.

I thought the above could help some of the Debian users (but I didn't
intend to cover all topics either...).

Hoping that helps,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)