Re: several messages

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010, Michael Gilbert wrote:

> This may somewhat define the meaning of sloppy within Debian, but to
> the outside world, the term "sloppy" is rather meaningless, and

This may be intentional – to get people to RTFM to find out what
exactly it means in this instance (and why).

> intended purpose; rather than an intentionally scary name. That really

That may be intentional, since it requires people to upgrade
from lenny + lenny-backports + lenny-backports-sloppy to
squeeze + squeeze-backports and that an upgrade to squeeze
alone PROBABLY FAILS.

> Like I've said a few times now, it's a matter of clarity and reduced
> scariness, which is very important for marketing purposes (obviously

Which may be intentional. It may be undesired for people to
actually use the -sloppy backports but they’re included as
a convenience for people who know what they’re doing. (And
for unproblematic packages such as mksh.)

I wonder though, how is the upgrade path secured? Will the
packages from lenny-backports-sloppy and squeeze-backports
be built from the same source packages (which may be pro-
blematic) or can they differ (which would invite people to
have newer versions in lbs than sb)?

Also, which rules are valid for -sloppy? For example, in
lenny-backports, etch rules (such as, no 3.0 source format)
are valid for the upgradability, this may be an unnecessary
restriction for lenny-backports-sloppy as they probably will
only be enabled on a system that’s already upgraded to lenny
possibly with lenny-backports?

bye,
//mirabilos
--
tarent Gesellschaft für Softwareentwicklung und IT-Beratung mbH
Geschäftsführer: Boris Esser, Elmar Geese

Heilsbachstraße 24,  53123 Bonn,   Telefon: +49 228 52675-93
Thiemannstraße 36 a, 12059 Berlin, Telefon: +49 30 5682943-30
Internet: http://www.tarent.de/  • Telefax: +49 228 52675-25