Re: Helper script for backport?

Hi all,

Russ Allbery wrote:
>> And please remember to not build a backport for lenny-backports with a
>> dpkg from squeeze or sid.
>
> I'm fairly certain that doesn't matter for the use case that we're
> talking about.  The squeeze/sid dpkg is only used to build a source
> package for copying into the chroot.  That source package is then
> discarded after being unpacked and the whole package is rebuilt inside
> the chroot, including the source package, using the dpkg of the target
> distribution.
>
> Or am I wrong about how the cowbuilder environment works?

I can confirm that it is sufficient to upgrade the dpkg-dev package to
1.15.2 from squeeze. I'm *NOT* touching anything in the cowbuilder
environment, thus I would consider the resulting package to be ok to be
used as a backport to lenny.

But since I'm pretty new to packaging I might misunderstand something
here as well.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Carsten

PS: Russ, now the script works marvelously!