Re: Helper script for backport?

Hi all,

thanks a lot for the three hints over the past 12 hours. I reply only to
one but want to address all of them (sorry for this bad style),

@James:
I knew about this beforehand but as I'm lazy wanted to automate as much
as possible ;)

@Johannes:
The script looks very easy and seems to do the job, but as Russ's script
directly works on a .dsc file it seems to be even more suited to me, but
I might come round and look again at your script - although having a
certain environment with sid in the sources might lead to confusion to
some people here

Russ Allbery wrote:

> http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/scripts/ has a script that I use.
> Patches, feedback, etc. always welcome.

I'm currently looking at the backport script and it seems very well
suited for my problem at hand, except it does not yet work.

If I run (taken from squeeze):
cowbuilder --build --basepath /var/cache/pbuilder/base.amd64.cow/
/tmp/r-cran-xtable_1.5.5-1.dsc

it works as expected and produces .deb, changes, orig.tar.gz... except
of course that the version number is "wrong" for a backport.

Now trying to use backport (and not being too sure on the policy of
backoprts.org about the --last switch, just guessing here):

./backport --add-upstream --chroot=base.amd64 --suffix=lscsoft1
--last=1.5.5 /tmp/r-cran-xtable_1.5.5-1.dsc
dpkg-source: extracting r-cran-xtable in r-cran-xtable-1.5.5
dpkg-source: info: unpacking r-cran-xtable_1.5.5.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: applying r-cran-xtable_1.5.5-1.diff.gz
dch warning: new version (1.5.5-1~lscsoft1) is less than
the current version number (1.5.5-1).
Running pdebuild --buildresult .. --pbuilder cowbuilder --debbuildopts
-v1.5.5 -sa -- --basepath /var/cache/pbuilder/base.amd64.cow
W: /root/.pbuilderrc does not exist
  -> using cowbuilder as pbuilder
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: cdbs r-base-dev
W: Unmet build-dependency in source
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: using a gain-root-command while being root
dpkg-buildpackage: set CFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set CPPFLAGS to default value:
dpkg-buildpackage: set LDFLAGS to default value:
dpkg-buildpackage: set FFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set CXXFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: source package r-cran-xtable
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 1.5.5-1~lscsoft1
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by root <root@kvm.atlas.local>
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: cdbs r-base-dev
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied;
aborting.
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: This is currently a non-fatal warning with
-S, but
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: will probably become fatal in the future.
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
debian/rules:6: /usr/share/R/debian/r-cran.mk: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/share/R/debian/r-cran.mk'.  Stop.
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit
status 2
pdebuild failed

Currently I don't know why it does not automatically pull in the build
deps as it does when I call cowbuilder directly.

Any idea?

Cheers

Carsten