Re: Helper script for backport?

Carsten Aulbert <carsten.aulbert@aei.mpg.de> writes:

> I'm currently looking at the backport script and it seems very well
> suited for my problem at hand, except it does not yet work.
>
> If I run (taken from squeeze):
> cowbuilder --build --basepath /var/cache/pbuilder/base.amd64.cow/
> /tmp/r-cran-xtable_1.5.5-1.dsc
>
> it works as expected and produces .deb, changes, orig.tar.gz... except
> of course that the version number is "wrong" for a backport.
>
> Now trying to use backport (and not being too sure on the policy of
> backoprts.org about the --last switch, just guessing here):

Given how dpkg-genchanges work, --last needs to name the exact full
version number of something in debian/changelog.  Otherwise, I think it
includes the entire changelog.

> dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: cdbs r-base-dev
> W: Unmet build-dependency in source
> dpkg-buildpackage: warning: using a gain-root-command while being root
> dpkg-buildpackage: set CFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
> dpkg-buildpackage: set CPPFLAGS to default value:
> dpkg-buildpackage: set LDFLAGS to default value:
> dpkg-buildpackage: set FFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
> dpkg-buildpackage: set CXXFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
> dpkg-buildpackage: source package r-cran-xtable
> dpkg-buildpackage: source version 1.5.5-1~lscsoft1
> dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by root <root@kvm.atlas.local>
> dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: cdbs r-base-dev
> dpkg-buildpackage: warning: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied;
> aborting.
> dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)
> dpkg-buildpackage: warning: This is currently a non-fatal warning with
> -S, but
> dpkg-buildpackage: warning: will probably become fatal in the future.
>  fakeroot debian/rules clean
> debian/rules:6: /usr/share/R/debian/r-cran.mk: No such file or directory
> make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/share/R/debian/r-cran.mk'.  Stop.
> dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit
> status 2
> pdebuild failed

dpkg-buildpackage defaults to running debian/rules clean before building
the source package so you need to have all the build dependencies
required for the clean rule installed outside the chroot as well.

I suspect that backport should pass -d -nc to dpkg-buildpackage, since
it's already guaranteed that the source tree is clean.  I'm testing that
change now.