Re: default pin

On 06/23/2006 2:55:32 PM +0100
martin f krafft <madduck@madduck.net> said:

> > On the bpo  website, each package page recommends setting the default to
> > 200 and that specific package to 999. What exactly is it that has a
> > default value of 500?
> If you do not follow that recommendation, all backports.org packages
> will be pinned the same way as stable packages

So what you are saying is that bpo should recommend a pin of 200 or
lower because if a user ignores the current recommendation of 200 they
could install bpo packages without realising?

I suspect if an administrator ignores the existing recommendation they
will do so for one of three reasons:

1. They know what they are doing
2. They think they know what they are doing
3. They know they don't know what they are doing but want to see what

I assume you are addressing group (2) above. When you find a way of
getting through to them, do tell the rest of us how you managed it.