Re: default pin

On 06/23/2006 2:55:32 PM +0100
martin f krafft <madduck@madduck.net> said:

> > On the bpo  website, each package page recommends setting the default to
> > 200 and that specific package to 999. What exactly is it that has a
> > default value of 500?
>
> If you do not follow that recommendation, all backports.org packages
> will be pinned the same way as stable packages

So what you are saying is that bpo should recommend a pin of 200 or
lower because if a user ignores the current recommendation of 200 they
could install bpo packages without realising?

I suspect if an administrator ignores the existing recommendation they
will do so for one of three reasons:

1. They know what they are doing
2. They think they know what they are doing
3. They know they don't know what they are doing but want to see what
happens

I assume you are addressing group (2) above. When you find a way of
getting through to them, do tell the rest of us how you managed it.