Re: Request for Rawtran packaging review

Hi Filip,

Filip Hroch <hroch@physics.muni.cz> writes:
> I'd corrected all the suggested improvements (including
> both yesterday's minors).

Thanks. I uploaded the package. Please keep in mind that it still needs
to be accepted by our ftp-masters, which may take some days or weeks. Be
patient.

> A few words for explanation:
>> Please use our standard git layout: [...]
>>
> I'm very sorry for this. [...] I solved the situation by complete
> remove of the old repository and creating from scratch of the new one.
> There was a minimal history, all the work has stored by me and I
> prefers the clear start rather than a mesh -- which always implicates
> growth of chaos. I believe the remove will not produce any problems.

That is not a problem for the first version :-) And the next versions
will work with problems anyway.

> This is tightly connected with my question. Which is the recommended
> way to update upstream branch in git repository after new upstream
> release? By my opinion, a natural solution is create a new (upstream)
> branch and merging with the older one? And the action is followed by
> update appropriate items of master (debian) branch?

What I usually do is (starting in the master branch):

uscan # this will download a new package if it is available
git checkout upstream
rm -rf *
tar xvf ../rawtran_0.3.7.orig.tar.gz --strip-components=1
# investigate the changes; since you are upstream, you may know them already:-)
git add --all
git commit -m "New upstream version 0.3.7"
git tag upstream/0.3.7
pristine-tar commit ../rawtran_0.3.7.orig.tar.gz
git checkout master
git merge upstream
dch -v 0.3.7-1 -u low "New upstream version"
# adjusting debian files for new version, documenting with dch,
# test builds, committing all to git ...
dch -r
git commit debian/changelog -m "Finalize d/changelog"
git tag debian/0.3.7-1
git push --all

This may not the smartest solution today; maybe someone more experienced
can send a more elegant workflow. However, this works for me :-)

> I strictly followed the recommendations on
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianAstro/AstropyPackagingTutorial/Preparation
>
> during full packaging process. Some details seems to be obsolete now.
> I consider an update of the page by my new experiences.

Please do this! Also if you think that something is not described well
there. This will help others to get started.

Thank you very much

Ole