Re: Building (Debian) kernel optimized for RPi Zero (W) and 1

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 09:12:06AM +0200, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> W dniu 25.10.2022 o 00:03, Punit Agrawal pisze:
>
> > IIUC, for the kernel, either compiler should be fine. The
> > documentation[0] for compiling the RPi Zero kernel seems to bear this
> > out - it even uses the "CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf-". If you've
> > got access to the hardware it should be easy to test before kicking off
> > the Debian kernel package build.
>
> Raspbian uses own definition of armhf (armv6) while Debian (and other
> distros) use armv7 for armhf.
>
> So using any documentation which mentions armhf and r/pi needs to be done in
> careful way.

The (early) Raspberry Pi 0/1 (and the Pi Zero v1 at least) are armv6 with
hardware floating point when all the Linux distributions had already
decided on v7 and hardware floating point as armhf architecture.
Debian armel runs fine without recompilation at a slight penalty.

Raspbian history is effectively a port by interested Debian folk -
Raspberry Pi OS is subtly different (and includes non-free software
as part of the standard build).

Later models of Raspberry Pi run as v7 and hardware floating point so
Debian armhf runs natively.

Raspberry Pi OS is slowly moving to 64 bit but the earliest Pis are 32 bit
only. Debian arm64 will run natively on Raspberry Pi 64 bit - the latest
firmware vote will also mean that we can include Raspberry Pi firmware
in the installer for next version Bookworm.

Hope this helps,

Andy Cater