Re: Building (Debian) kernel optimized for RPi Zero (W) and 1

Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org> writes:

> On maandag 24 oktober 2022 11:16:42 CEST Punit Agrawal wrote:
>> I am probably missing some context but I wanted to point to the armel
>> cross compiler in Debian - gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi. Is there some reason
>> to build the cross-compiler yourself?
>
> I don't want to build for armel, but for raspbian.org's variant of armhf,
> which is not the same as Debian's armhf.
> The RPi 0/1 fall somewhere in the middle of Debian's armel and armhf and
> that's the whole reason raspbian.org was created.

Thanks for the context.

> But it can be that I'm looking at this problem all wrong and/or have some
> tunnel vision towards building a cross compiler.
> That is an important reason for making this ML thread.

IIUC, for the kernel, either compiler should be fine. The
documentation[0] for compiling the RPi Zero kernel seems to bear this
out - it even uses the "CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf-". If you've
got access to the hardware it should be easy to test before kicking off
the Debian kernel package build.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Punit