Re: cubox-i does not boot after upgrade to bullseye

On 12/27/21 18:22, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
On 2021-12-27, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
I upgraded a cubox-i from buster to bullseye. The upgrade went through without
any issues. But after the upgrade the system does not boot anymore. The output
of the serial console is below. The boot process hangs at

[    3.816424] Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk1p2...

Did the device enumeration change?

Very likely; it is not promised to remain constant even between boots
with the same kernel, unfortunately!

You really want to use root=UUID=abcde-12345... or partition labels, or
anything that isn't going to have surprise changes...

How would I find out the new device name and how would I change the boot
parameters (which apparently specifies /dev/mmcblk1p2 according to the output
below)?

If you can  insert the microSD into another Debian  machine, you can get
the UUID  by looking in  /dev/disk/by-uuid/ to find the  matching device
or:

   lsblk --fs /dev/DEVICE

It might be possible to discover from u-boot as well, but I forget off
the top of my head.

I can recommend barebox here instead of U-Boot. i.MX is the probably best supported platform for it and I would expect the cubox-i to be directly supported.

Barebox can mount various filesystems and if there is a bootspec entry in your rootfs (e.g. flash-kernel can write such an entry) you can just do:

	boot /mnt/mmc0.0

to let barebox pick the kernel, initrd and dtb from the filesystem on mmc0.0 and pass root=UUID=$therightone.

Best regards
Uwe