Re: cubox-i does not boot after upgrade to bullseye

On 2021-12-27, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> I upgraded a cubox-i from buster to bullseye. The upgrade went through without
> any issues. But after the upgrade the system does not boot anymore. The output
> of the serial console is below. The boot process hangs at
>
> [    3.816424] Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk1p2...
>
> Did the device enumeration change?

Very likely; it is not promised to remain constant even between boots
with the same kernel, unfortunately!

You really want to use root=UUID=abcde-12345... or partition labels, or
anything that isn't going to have surprise changes...

> How would I find out the new device name and how would I change the boot
> parameters (which apparently specifies /dev/mmcblk1p2 according to the output
> below)?

If you can  insert the microSD into another Debian  machine, you can get
the UUID  by looking in  /dev/disk/by-uuid/ to find the  matching device
or:

  lsblk --fs /dev/DEVICE

It might be possible to discover from u-boot as well, but I forget off
the top of my head.

Once you have the UUID, try passing root=UUID=$uuid in bootparams
instead of root=/dev/mmcblk...

live well,
  vagrant