Re: Feedback from the community -> ARM

On Fri, 2021-06-11 at 14:35 +0200, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> I think the problem isn't on Debian's side, but on the side of the
> Raspberry Pi Foundation (RPF).

But if it is, why is e.g. installing Ubuntu so much easier
(as opposed to amd64 where it is about the same) and so much
better documented?

> quassel-core and FreedomBox are (a collection of) programs already
> available in Debian, which you can install with apt[itude|-get].
> The FreedomBox project does also provide downloadable images, but
> that just/still a (pure/true) Debian system.

But I still would have to research if e.g. the installer leaves
some settings differently, if e.g. /etc/issue is different from
Debian, if there are any cosmetic differences (many derived
distributions e.g. change default editors, or shell prompts,
graphic themes etc.). These are small things, but to me they
really matter. E.g. Raspbian decided a few years ago to change
default Debian dhpc client behaviour. Nothing hugely problematic,
but just one more difference (even if well-intended) to think
about. If I can choose, I really want actual, unchanged Debian
and I do not deny that true blends have their place.

> So I guess there's some miscommunication/misunderstanding here?

Maybe. To me the main thing is: I want Debian arm64. If installing
$SOMETHING (like FreedomBox) gets me that: Why not, but if I am
not sure in what aspects it differs from Debian afterwards, then I'd
rather go the way of installing Debian directly, even if it is a bit
more complicated and/or not as well documented.

/ralph