Re: Feedback from the community -> ARM

Hello Diederik

On 6/11/21 2:50 PM, Diederik de Haas wrote:
On donderdag 10 juni 2021 16:43:44 CEST Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
   - Fragmentation
     - Vendor kernels vs. mainline
       This got better in the past is my subjective impression, but it
       still hurts. Device tree made this a tad simpler, but it's not
       unusual to have vendor specific bindings.

Mainline would be best, but if (initially) a vendor kernel 'needs' to be made,
please don't use some random kernel version, but base it off an Extended Long
Term Support kernel. IIUC 5.10 is intended to be an ELTS kernel.

It also has the 'side' benefit that it (usually) aligns with a Debian Stable
release, which means various tooling should also easily work. And it should
also mean that it's 'easy' to get it working on other distros as well.

In my bubble most vendor kernel already do this. They align however not to an ELTS kernel, but to the Android universe. That's at least the case for NXP which is quite dominant in my bubble.

Best regards
Uwe