Re: Debian on Pine64 H64B?

Gene Heskett dijo [Sat, Sep 04, 2021 at 09:43:07AM -0400]:
> (...)
> So I found my own solutions. So, debian-arm, please make up your mind, do
> you support the pi's or do you NOT support the pi's?

Debian has a very clear line set: We do _NOT_ ship non-free software,
no exceptions. Given the Raspberries need a non-free firmware blob for
the GPU to hand over execution to the ARM CPU at bootup... Yes, that
clearly means no official Debian images exist for Raspberry Pi
hardware. So, yes, we made up our mind, and the situation has been the
same since the original RPi was released in 2013.

Some people, me included (but by far, it's not only me) have prepared
prebuilt Debian images¹ that allow booting a standard Debian system
with *only* the raspi-firmware non-free package installed.

¹ https://raspi.debian.net
² https://tracker.debian.net/raspi-firmware

> When I did try a net install of buster, but had no network after the
> reboot, I went back to a raspbian seed image and haven't looked back, it
> Just Works.

Try running one of our tested images³. I strongly suggest you to use
the Bullseye images, as they are newer and more recently tested, and
are our primary target nowadays.

³ https://raspi.debian.net/tested-images/

> > Whatever floats your boat.
>
> That attitude is Indicating to me that debian-arm still has zero interest
> in arm. A sad truth IMO.

We have zero interest to get engaged with divisive, aggressive users
that feel entitled to a full support tier when downloading free
software built by a bunch of volunteers. Do you want us to spend more
time fixing the many quirks in the RPi? Consider hiring a couple of us
to do so. No, not me -- I have my time fully booked and am happily
employed. But if you are interested, I can point you to many people
who might be interested.