Re: Debian on Pine64 H64B?

On Saturday 04 September 2021 04:48:48 Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Sat, Sep 04, 2021 at 09:51:30AM +0200, LinAdmin wrote:
> > The unnamed decision makers of Debian some unknown time ago
> > decided that Pi and Pine stuff won't be supported by Debian.
>
> Except that Raspberry Pis are supported by Debian.
> There are even pre-built images at https://raspi.debian.net
>
> > I switched to Ubuntu LTS which made me (and many others) happy.

There are enough diffs that that path was not one I'd take. My target
install these days is debian, because LinuxCNC runs on a nearly default
debian install, and has since wheezy.
raspbian follows debian well, but throws anybody not running their kernel
under the buss and grinds them up leaving. Zero support for a realtime
kernel which LinuxCNC demands if its to run real hardware.  So I was
forced to build my own. Questions involving it are ignored on their
forum. On the pi3, with its glacial swap, its a nearly 24 hour job.

So I was also forced to invent my own installer, which has now been
running happily since the pi3b shipped. But the pi3b, while doing the
job of running 1500 lbs of a cnc converted Sheldon Lathe, did so with
its tongue hanging out. When the pi4b shipped, the pi3b was replaced,
initially with a raspbian image, mofified by doing my own install of a
realtime kernel. That part is remarkably easy, just put the u-sd in a
card adapter, and unpack my 4.19 tarball to it. plug it back into the
pi4 and its done. And the pi4b does that job without breathing hard.
With startech usb3 adapters to a couple SSD's, I am even running my own
buildbot on it to keep LinuxCNC within a few hours of the github master.
By skipping the pi's earlier years, debian did not do its users any great
favors. The ultimate insult was when I asked a debian-arm related
question here on this list, and I was invited to use the main list,
where arm is a vulgar word.

So I found my own solutions. So, debian-arm, please make up your mind, do
you support the pi's or do you NOT support the pi's?

When I did try a net install of buster, but had no network after the
reboot, I went back to a raspbian seed image and haven't looked back, it
Just Works.

> Whatever floats your boat.

That attitude is Indicating to me that debian-arm still has zero interest
in arm. A sad truth IMO.

> Reco

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)