Re: making debs for u-boot kernels

On Sunday 28 July 2019 00:27:36 Reco wrote:

> > > apt install build-essential
> >
> > I *think* I did that. With synaptic. I gave it quite a list, it took
> > about an hour to install it all on a 100Mb circuit.
>
> If you're unsure if it's installed or not - you have bigger problems.
>
> > If it will boot normally I'll make sure.
>
> Why won't it?

It gets to udev, and everything after that seem to take twice as long as
the last start, by the time it gets to MTD, whatever that is, the
blanker kicks  in and nothing will wake it up. I don't thinks its
started ssh yet at that point, but its been 6 or so hours.  Nope. No ssh
answering the phone.

> > If not, I've a stretch install with the same old slow video ( about
> > 1.7 fps for glxgearrs full screen ) that otherwise works well.
>
> It's not a Debian, it's Raspbian.

> > > A security feature. If you want that:
> >
> > No Reco, its not security, its harassment of someone who actually
> > wants to do work with it and would like to just get to it.
>
> It could be implemented better, I agree. Like restricting dmesg to
> members of a certain group instead of current 'root or nothing'
> apporach. But if you have a problem with that - it's called
> reportbug(1).
>
> Reco

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)