Re: making debs for u-boot kernels

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 12:13:21AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > That, and a whole restaraunt sized menu of dpkg stuff for building
> > > packages is on the missing list.  Grrrrr.
> >
> > apt install build-essential
>
> I *think* I did that. With synaptic. I gave it quite a list, it took
> about an hour to install it all on a 100Mb circuit.

If you're unsure if it's installed or not - you have bigger problems.

> If it will boot normally I'll make sure.

Why won't it?

> If not, I've a stretch install with the same old slow video ( about
> 1.7 fps for glxgearrs full screen ) that otherwise works well.

It's not a Debian, it's Raspbian.

> > > The user can't even look at dmseg!  How dumb is that?
> >
> > A security feature. If you want that:
> >
> No Reco, its not security, its harassment of someone who actually wants
> to do work with it and would like to just get to it.

It could be implemented better, I agree. Like restricting dmesg to
members of a certain group instead of current 'root or nothing'
apporach. But if you have a problem with that - it's called
reportbug(1).

Reco