Re: making debs for u-boot kernels

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 06:50:53AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > I *think* I did that. With synaptic. I gave it quite a list, it took
> > > about an hour to install it all on a 100Mb circuit.
> >
> > If you're unsure if it's installed or not - you have bigger problems.
> >
> > > If it will boot normally I'll make sure.
> >
> > Why won't it?
>
> I don't know, its so slow and got so slow It was waiting for MTD for 4 or
> 5 minutes, so it was essentially stopped. And with no access to the log
> readers, I've no way to even begin troubleshooting.

Happily boots for me. But, no offence, you sir have a talent of finding
trouble at these things. Must be your luck.

> > > If not, I've a stretch install with the same old slow video ( about
> > > 1.7 fps for glxgearrs full screen ) that otherwise works well.
> >
> > It's not a Debian, it's Raspbian.
> >
> Maybe, but the net install kernel will never run machinery, its too old,
> just like the video.

Let me remind you that this part of the thread spawned from your
problems (let's put it that way) with building certain magic Linux
kernel under Raspbian.
Contrary to what you seem to believe, building a Linux kernel is not
affected by current kernel version, or the state of the graphical stack.
Adding a couple of advanced concepts, even processor architecture is not
that relevant.

> Let me correct that, the *first* user can't run it, and because a root pw
> was set, the first user can't even use sudo. And the bugs never stop, an

And the appropriate place to report them is called
https://bugs.debian.org. This maillist serves different purpose.

I also have to add that sudo(1) and its configuration, alongside with
the usual "my resolver is borken, how do I configure IP stack, why /sbin
is missing from my $PATH, and how do I compile a kernel" are not
ARM-specific and therefore belong to debian-user. Unless it's Raspbian,
in which case they belong to *their* forum.

Thank you in advance for the understanding,

Reco