Re: is the systemd .link mechanism supposed to work?

El 27/7/19 a les 23:20, Reco ha escrit:

yet it always gets the name wlxe894f615307a.

What you're doing colud work.
The problem is - you have NIC that's attached via USB, so the usual
rules do not apply.

The reason of it - /lib/udev/rules.d/73-usb-net-by-mac.rules, that's
applied after your .link file rename an interface.

Is this madness due to systemd or debian packaging? In either case I think it should be mentioned in the release notes.

To achieve a predictable (pun intended) behaviour - either create this
zero size file:

/etc/udev/rules.d/73-usb-net-by-mac.rules

Or disable the offending feature altogether by adding "net.ifnames=0" to
kernel's commandline.

I'll try what is explained here
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link

OTOH the wired interface is always named eth0 (even with no .link file), even if it should be

# udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/eth0 2>/dev/null
ID_NET_NAME_MAC=enx00160141ad18
ID_OUI_FROM_DATABASE=BUFFALO.INC

Systemd (udev is a part of it) is x86 centric. Unless NIC is connected
to PCI or USB - it does not know how to rename them Predictably™.

In your place I'd consider myself lucky - at least you have a network
interface that's always called eth0, the way the kernel wants it.

I am lucky until systemd behaviour changes: do I have the absolute certainty that, upon upgrading to buster, it will still be named eth0?

Extra points if it involves getting rid of systemd altogether ;-)

It won't help you here. To solve this particular problem once and for
all, you need a replacement for udev, which Debian does not provide.

Thank you, that was tongue in cheek (though the more I use systemd the more I hate it).

Bye
--
luca