Re: making debs for u-boot kernels

On Friday 26 July 2019 17:35:01 Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 12:49:32PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I am furious (fat lot of good that does me) with the lack of tools,
> > and information on how to use them to build an installable
> > kernel.deb for a rpi-3b.  I know it can be done, I have witnessed
> > apt do it several times, on at least two of the arm platforms, once
> > on an arm64 running stretch and several times on armhf for releases
> > from jessie to buster.
>
> Raspberry Pi does not use u-boot. Raspbian does not use u-boot. Their
> proprietary bootloader can be forced to run u-boot, but its not worth
> it - by using u-boot you're limiting yourself to armhf, and Raspberry
> Pi3 is an aarch64 board.
>
> > I want to take a linux-rt tar.xz direct from kernel.org, and its
> > patches to  bring it up to realtime, build it and install it all on
> > the pi-3b, to which I have added a 120GB SSD for workspace, and a
> > 10GB swap so it can now build linuxcnc.
>
> Consider installing a proper Debian first the way it's outlined at
> [1]. Booting a custom kernel will be as easy as adding an another
> entry to grub.cfg.
>
> Reco
>
> [1]
> https://pete.akeo.ie/2019/07/installing-debian-arm64-on-raspberry-pi.h
>tml

To my amazement, given the track record of the debian installers ability
to follow directions, its trundling right along, about half way to
pulling about 1500 files to complete a simple xfce4 installation.  So
the installer has obviously had a lot of TLC since the last time I
battled it and lost in early wheezy days.  We'll see if it remembers the
network settings when its reboot time, or if I have to purge
avahi-daemon, and dhcp* before it allows the routing to be set
correctly. This is a hosts file based network, and there is NOT a dhcp
server running here except when my sons and their smartfones are in
range and it only serves the wifi.

So I have the beginnings of a grin, but I'd better go offer the missus
some caffeine.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)