Re: making debs for u-boot kernels

On Thursday 25 July 2019 09:28:12 Stefan Monnier wrote:

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> I don't were you got that idea.
>
>          ^^^
>          know
>
> > From Digi,
>
> That's rather vague.
>
> > who own the copyrights since they announced it in 2001.
>
> https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/blob/master/README doesn't
> mention any "Digi" and according to Wikipedia, U-Boot's initial
> release was in 1999.

So http://www.digi.com, and the 37 page "U-Boot Reference Manual" that
you can download and print from their site is all BS?

Possibly good to know, but is not at all helpfull when you "make uImage"
in a kernel src tree's top level directory and it terminates with a
missing numerical argument, which I'm, assuming is the offset from lsn0
in the dos /boot partition of the u-sd card, an 0x number which FWIW is
NOT mentioned in a make help or make usage return.

Apparently almost every arm card offering has a different and secret
number. A number that if its extractable from a currently working image
is an I don't know how to do it thing, since  no directory option I know
of gives the files starting location on the mounted as /boot disk.

I am furious (fat lot of good that does me) with the lack of tools, and
information on how to use them to build an installable kernel.deb for a
rpi-3b.  I know it can be done, I have witnessed apt do it several
times, on at least two of the arm platforms, once on an arm64 running
stretch and several times on armhf for releases from jessie to buster.

I want to take a linux-rt tar.xz direct from kernel.org, and its patches
to  bring it up to realtime, build it and install it all on the pi-3b,
to which I have added a 120GB SSD for workspace, and a 10GB swap so it
can now build linuxcnc. wash, rinse,and repeat until a suitable
kernel-[version].deb build has been achieved. Something that is new
enough to have the video patches (they are nominally 12+x faster than
the framebuffer video we've been stuck with on the pi3's for years), so
that probably means the 5.2.1-##-rt series of kernels, but possibly a
4.19.59-rt might work.  But correct me if that's wrong. Bear in mind the
install targets two buster boot u-sd's I have written from raspian has
already been converted to these new video libraries, so the kernel
version must be compatible with those. Buster, once avahi-daemon and
dhcp* have been purged so networking with hosts files works, looks
amazing, but its not realtime.

So if the Digi International Inc.'s U-Boot Reference Manual is BS, then
where can RELIABLE information on how to do that (build the installable
debs) be found?

Thank you Stefan.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)