Re: making debs for u-boot kernels

On Friday 26 July 2019 17:35:01 Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 12:49:32PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I am furious (fat lot of good that does me) with the lack of tools,
> > and information on how to use them to build an installable
> > kernel.deb for a rpi-3b.  I know it can be done, I have witnessed
> > apt do it several times, on at least two of the arm platforms, once
> > on an arm64 running stretch and several times on armhf for releases
> > from jessie to buster.
>
> Raspberry Pi does not use u-boot. Raspbian does not use u-boot. Their
> proprietary bootloader can be forced to run u-boot, but its not worth
> it - by using u-boot you're limiting yourself to armhf, and Raspberry
> Pi3 is an aarch64 board.
>
> > I want to take a linux-rt tar.xz direct from kernel.org, and its
> > patches to  bring it up to realtime, build it and install it all on
> > the pi-3b, to which I have added a 120GB SSD for workspace, and a
> > 10GB swap so it can now build linuxcnc.
>
> Consider installing a proper Debian first the way it's outlined at
> [1]. Booting a custom kernel will be as easy as adding an another
> entry to grub.cfg.
>
> Reco
>
> [1]
> https://pete.akeo.ie/2019/07/installing-debian-arm64-on-raspberry-pi.h
>tml
I have followed the instructions at that link to the point where I have a
single 300MiB fat 16 (type e in fdisk) partition marked as bootable,
with the contents of RPi3_UEFI_Firmware_v1.3.zip copied to it.
Looks like this:
gene@coyote:~/PublicA/pi-buster$ ls -l /media/sdf1
total 5016
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   25354 Jul 25 16:46 bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   25617 Jul 25 16:46 bcm2710-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   52296 Jul 25 16:47 bootcode.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     925 Jul 25 16:42 config.txt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    8192 Jul 25 16:42 firmware
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    6724 Jul 25 16:47 fixup.dat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    2617 Jul 25 16:42 Readme.md
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2097152 Jul 25 16:54 RPI_EFI.fd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2878180 Jul 25 16:47 start.elf

But this instruction also wants the debian-10.0.0-arm64-netinst.iso
written to it, which is 250MiB and which if I use dd to follow this
instruction:

Extract the content of the Debian ISO you downloaded to the root of the
FAT partition.
, will overwrite that whole partition. There is not another actual
partition defined ATM.
There is just barely room for the iso left.

So how do I proceed?
mc shows me the contents of the .iso, so I will copy that which mc can
see starting with .disk

So thats done and it did fit. But pete's choice of white on black means I
have to waste a printout discovering the FF now has a "simplify"
function that turns the 4 pages into 9, but does print sort of black on
white paper. When thats done and I have readable hard copy, test time...

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis