Re: Add support for Pine64 RockPro64

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 10:22, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:
On 2019-07-27, Michael Gratton wrote:
 Package: u-boot

Did you mean for this to go to the bug tracking system?

Ah, heh, yes I did. I can still forward it on if it would be useful.

I've just picked up a RockPro64 board[0] based on the Rockchip RK3399 and it would be great to be able to install standard Debian on it (as
 opposed dd'ing some random image).

In order for it to work out of the box, it needs support in
arm-trusted-firmware, but there are currently licensing issues with a
binary blobs in the rk3399 target upstream:

  https://github.com/ARM-software/tf-issues/issues/651

I've also not been able to get it to build with toolchains more recent
than stretch:

  https://github.com/ARM-software/tf-issues/issues/650

That's a shame. Does the suggested workaround for the binary blob help? I'm interested in a headless node so lack of HDCP doesn't bother me, but I guess others may need it.

 Uboot has support for for the chipset[1]

There is u-boot support specifically for rockpro64-rk3399 upstream
now. I'd be happy to enable it in the u-boot packaging if you or someone
else can promise to test it periodically:

  https://wiki.debian.org/U-boot/
  https://wiki.debian.org/U-boot/Status

I'll be happy to test it out, will also mention it over on the Pine64 forums, since there seems to be some interest in running stock distros.

 and linux 5.2 has 99% support
 for the board, while 5.3 irons out the last issues.

The linux packaging in Debian may need some additional config options
enabled, as people have tested with other rk3399 boards, but most
features should already be enabled. File bugs for missing features, and
feel free to CC me.

Will do, thanks!
//Mike

--