Re: making debs for u-boot kernels

On 2019-07-27, Reco wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 12:49:32PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I am furious (fat lot of good that does me) with the lack of tools, and
>> information on how to use them to build an installable kernel.deb for a
>> rpi-3b.  I know it can be done, I have witnessed apt do it several
>> times, on at least two of the arm platforms, once on an arm64 running
>> stretch and several times on armhf for releases from jessie to buster.
>
> Raspberry Pi does not use u-boot. Raspbian does not use u-boot. Their
> proprietary bootloader can be forced to run u-boot, but its not worth it
> - by using u-boot you're limiting yourself to armhf, and Raspberry Pi3
>   is an aarch64 board.

The u-boot-rpi packages in debian include variants appropriate to arm64,
armhf and armel, depending on which architecture u-boot-rpi package is
built for. e.g. if you install u-boot-rpi on arm64, you get the arm64
u-boot binaries.

Using u-boot does enable the use of u-boot-menu package, in case you
want to choose which kernel to boot.

FWIW, I think using u-boot + u-boot-menu is much simpler than having to
make uImage or u-boot FIT images or any of the other ideas expressed in
this thread... configure your config.txt to point to the u-boot binary,
install u-boot-PLATFORM, u-boot-menu, and mark your rootfs as a bootable
partition and it should "just work" with the standard kernel and initrd
and .dtb files provided by Debian.

If you need features not present in the Debian provided kernels I'm not
sure what complicated hoops you may need to jump through to get the
system to boot.

live well,
  vagrant

p.s. Disclaimer: I maintain u-boot in Debian, so maybe I'm biased.