Re: rock64, date is UTC, how to make EST (s/b UTC-5)

On 24/07/18 20:15, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 24 July 2018 14:29:49 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

So you get the password prompt which is actually issued by your SSH
client. The two things I'd suggest are (i) if you have one use a shell
session on the local console to run something like  ps faux | less  so
you can see whether the ssh daemon's stuck running something. Look in
/var/log/messages etc. Try ssh without the -Y then again with the -v
option.

Sorry for being concise, but evening passes and I've spent all day on
RPi OSes and several nay many days trying to sort out throughput
issues... SSH login should /not/ be a problem.

The only thing I can see that sshd related:

/usr/sbin/sshd -D
  \ sshd: pi [priv]
    \ sshd: pi@pts/1
     \ /bin/bash

There was one other entry, clear at the bottom of a lengthy list:
sshd
   \ bin/bash but I think that was the terminal I was using.  Or is that
the hung one??? dunno.

And what does  ssh -v  tell you?

In the shell session you're using try echo $$ which will give you the PID of that instance of bash, and then see where that appears in ps faux output.

I hope that effort bears fruit, this and another r-pi 3b has had a habit
of throwing away local keyboard and mouse events. Another reboot might
fix it, and then again it might be worse. But I expect this is a
different breed of horse.

http://www.lab-initio.com/screen_res/nz174.jpg

But that ps output does appear to imply that you've got a running shell, so the question might be moving from sshd towards something silly like an endless loop in your .bashrc

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk