Re: rock64, date is UTC, how to make EST (s/b UTC-5)

On Tuesday 24 July 2018 13:22:34 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> On 24/07/18 17:15, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> Great.  Some progress finally.
> >
> > Yep, and I've made it work for an armbian install this morning too!
> >
> > Big grin.
> >
> > But I had a heck of a time getting a gateway to "stick" thats very
> > fragile. Seems there is more stuffs now required in /e/n/i.d/eth0
> > than before, and no 100% reliable way to get it all started, so
> > while its now working, I'd have to say its fragile yet using the new
> > way.
>
> Extra stuff /such/ /as/? I find this
>
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>          address 192.168.1.19/24
>
> # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
> installed
>
>          dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1
>          dns-search telemetry.co.uk
>
> to be entirely adequate for /etc/network/interfaces on Raspbian and
> Debian Stretch, except possibly for the TinkerBoard I was looking at a
> few days ago.
>
> > But now, moving 15 feet to the pi, trying to do it on the pi, which
> > is running a jessie install, I've lost the shell after a login. So
> > my logins are useless. They echo what I type, but nothing see's the
> > return except the echoing linefeed.
> >
> > So kind people, whats next to check?
>
> Please describe the problem exactly. Most of us are reading this while
> working etc., assume our memory is limited.
>
> Debian or Raspbian Jessie? Main console? Text? GUI? Manual or auto
> login? SSH? What shell? and so on.

raspian jessie, manual ssh -Y login from remote machine on same local
subnet/24 with pw's, /bin/bash in the pw file.

I get the pw requester, answer it, get the login blurb I assume
from /etc/issue.net, but then no shell prompt in the remote term
emulator, and a ctrl-d is also ignored. Kill the tab is the only way
out. Thinking I had  hit some limit on this machine. or on the pi, I got
exactly the same results from the rock64's keyboard before and after
rebooting the pi.

So whats next?

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett