Re: need sd card backup on r-pi-3b

On 23/09/17 05:45, Gene Heskett wrote:

Months at a time here, but anytime I need to do anything as root that
involves more than ncurses graphics, I have to go to the machine and do
it there, and its a stand-up job with very poor gfx due to the pi's

In that case investigate what's stopping you from logging in directly as root. It's probably a setting in sshd_config and another in the display manager's configuration file.

Otherwise if you've got an SSH session as non-root you should be able to run arbitrary non-root X11 programs over it i.e. tunelling/forwarding X11 over SSH. Once that is working, you should be able to use a desktop-specific graphical variant of sudo to run a program as root: in the case of KDE it's kdesudo. Or alternatively, in an SSH session try sudo -E someprogram which works in many cases.

I've never had problems with dd provided that the USB->SDcard adapter's OK: what command are you using?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk