Re: need sd card backup on r-pi-3b

On Saturday 23 September 2017 04:36:49 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> On 23/09/17 05:45, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Months at a time here, but anytime I need to do anything as root
> > that involves more than ncurses graphics, I have to go to the
> > machine and do it there, and its a stand-up job with very poor gfx
> > due to the pi's
>
> In that case investigate what's stopping you from logging in directly
> as root. It's probably a setting in sshd_config and another in the
> display manager's configuration file.
>
> Otherwise if you've got an SSH session as non-root you should be able
> to run arbitrary non-root X11 programs over it i.e.
> tunelling/forwarding X11 over SSH. Once that is working, you should be
> able to use a desktop-specific graphical variant of sudo to run a
> program as root: in the case of KDE it's kdesudo. Or alternatively, in
> an SSH session try sudo -E someprogram  which works in many cases.

Thats something I haven't tried, I'll check the sudo man page, thanks.

> I've never had problems with dd provided that the USB->SDcard
> adapter's OK: what command are you using?

The usual syntax:
dd  if=somefile bs=512 of=somedevice, and in the case of sd card copying,
since no 2 are alike so I usually look at the src's declared size in
dmesg and set count=that-5k so it doesn't error out copying a pny 32GB
to a Sandisk 32GB.  Etcher, which is faster, has the same problem &
pitches a fit when it can't find room to put the last 10 sectors.  I've
had poor luck with sandisk anything though. pny, samsung is good stuff.
So I bought pny last night.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)