Re: need sd card backup on r-pi-3b

I don't know, it just works for me.  Even over VNC, I just tried it
from vncviewer on an OpenBSD machine.  The "copy from device" is blank
until I click the down arrow on it, then it finds /dev/mmcblk0.  I'm
running it on the machine that's running tightvncserver which I'm
logged into.  I use VNC a lot, I've maybe gotten a remote X connection
to work a couple times years ago.  The wrong authentication thing,
have you looked at the xhost man page?  I remember sometimes you have
to do
  xhost +localhost
and any remote machines you want to connect from have to be added in a
similar way.  With vnc you just need to set up the password with
vncpasswd.  Then you type like tightvncserver in a terminal window to
start it.  From the remote machine you type vncviewer and the IP or
machine name:display.  Server and client software names may be
different from mine, you need one of each.  I've even had an android
vnc client that worked over wifi from a phone.  Wheezy or Jessie
shouldn't matter, remote X has been around for like 35 years.  Since
dialup modems have been around.

Why are you at localhost:11?  Usually it's localhost:0.  Are you
logged in from 10 other machines too or something?  Try 'echo
$DISPLAY' and see what it says, mine says :0.  Ooops, the Pi says
:1.0, OpenBSD says :0.  vnc display numbers are similar but not
compatible as far as I know with X  connections.

I just did (on a pi):
pi2# xhost +192.168.7 and got
192.168.7 being added to access control list
But when I try xterm -display 192.18.0.7:1 in an ssh window to the pi
from openbsd I get crap about running as root and it refuses.  There
might be a way to put a username in there like you can ssh to
user@machine or in mc you cd to ftp://user:pass@machine.  15 years ago
my girlfriend at the time thought it was cool so we did it a couple
times.  VNC I've used a lot more.  Daily just about.  Sometime it's
open for a week at a time.

On 9/22/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Friday 22 September 2017 22:14:48 Alan Corey wrote:
>
>> I thought piclone was great for that.  With a couple manual edits you
>> can even clone an sd to a hard drive.
>
> I have never been able to make it work. No helpfull manpage, nor does it
> have a help option that I've found other than what you get by clicking
> on help when run as 1st user. Run as 1st user, it cannot find a target
> device.  The help there says "the card its booted from" as if it might
> be a fixed address to pull from, in which case why the ghosted out
> source selection buttons?
>
> And of course I cannot do anything from here as root via sudo because
> localhost:11 is not a valid x11 screen.
>
> I have asked how to fix that, several times, but without a solution.
> That pi is the only jessie machine, 3 other wheezy machines on this
> network Just Work(TM) in the exact same situation.  Whats with jessie
> that it won't?  Or with wheezy if the refusal is here?
>
> From that terminal screen on this wheezy box:
> pi@picnc:~ $ sudo piclone
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>
> (piclone:2001): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:11.0
> pi@picnc:~ $
>
> Thanks Alan.
>
>> On 9/22/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
>> > Greetings;
>> >
>> > Trying to dd a copy of the micro-sd card the pi-3b is booting from,
>> > to another micro-sd card in a usb reader/writer, and winding up with
>> > nothing but an empty lost+found directory on it.
>> >
>> > Obviously some sort of a syntax error, but it still takes the pi
>> > several hours to do it, with the traffic led on the reader/writer
>> > showing continuous activity.
>> >
>> > Is there another way/util that actually works for making verbatim
>> > backups of these limited lifetime sd cards?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>> > --
>> > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>> > Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach