Re: contemplating conversion of an r-pi3b based system to a rock64

They claim Debian support, sort of, but then they don't speak English
much either probably.  They have forums at https://forum.pine64.org/
maybe you could ask around there.  They have a newly out Jessie
mentioned at https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4849&pid=30643#pid30643
but admit it has problems.  Doesn't sound like a production machine
for everyday use yet.  They seem to focus on Android and Ubuntu.
Sounds like fun, right up a lab rat's alley.  You may not get much
else done for a while.

On 8/27/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 27 August 2017 11:55:47 Alan Corey wrote:
>
> Back on the list Alan. Where it belongs.
>
>> Hmm, interesting question.  With the Pi being open source except
>> possibly the boot blob, somebody could make an enhanced version with
>> the aim of making it as compatible as possible.  Not to say the rock64
>> is, I don't know.
>>
>> Back in the 80s there was a clone of the Apple II called the
>> Pineapple.  A professor at the college I was at bought one to save
>> money so I got to spend some time with it, it was pretty good.  Ran
>> all the same software, used the same plugin boards.  Of course Apple
>> eventually sued them and won.  Then there's the IBM -> Compaq copyover
>> which legend says the BIOS was written very carefully to do exactly
>> the same thing as IBM's without looking at IBM's.  Which got copied
>> all over the place to the point that hardly anybody buys IBM PCs
>> anymore.
>>
>> But taking the Pi as a standard which could legally be copied and
>> enhancing it, hmm.  They've evidently replaced the SOC which is the
>> reason for the 1 gig RAM limit, it has no BIOS.  It could become the
>> defacto Pi 4.  Will it run Raspbian?  I was looking for another Pi in
>> the next few months anyway.
>>
> The raspian question is one I've not yet found the answer to.  If it
> will, the gate just opened and the race is off to a good start. Unforch,
> the next batch won't ship till the 6th of Sept.
>
> I must resemble a lab rat, I sure get used for one often enough. ;-)
>
>> On 8/27/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
>> > Greetings all;
>> >
>> > What sort of problems due to internal architecture changes would I
>> > encounter? Currently using an rt-prempt version of 4.4.4 kernel
>> > labeled kernel7 since no later armhf/v7 kernel rt build has even
>> > usable keyboard/mouse support, with or without the extra usb2 hub
>> > for the dongles. This extra hub will be used in any event since the
>> > box its mounted in will eventually be buttoned up, severely
>> > restricting the range of the wireless dongles.
>> >
>> > This one is usable if rebooted repeatedly until it mostly works. But
>> > you've got to be chewing kentucky's finest twist and holding your
>> > mouth just so, otherwise it throws more keyboard/mouse events in the
>> > trash than it responds properly to.  The potential for fixing this
>> > is the driver for switching to a rock64.
>> >
>> > Suggestions as to where to src a suitable image for the rock64,
>> > hopefully one compatible with the current rpspi.ko driver (available
>> > as part of any recent linuxcnc install from buildbot.linuxcnc.org
>> > for armhf's, since except for keyboard/mouse, video(hdmi,mali
>> > drivers a huge plus) and LAN net stuffs, all other i/o is thru the
>> > gpio for this application, will be investigated.
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>> >
>> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>> > --
>> > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> [...]

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach