Re: contemplating conversion of an r-pi3b based system to a rock64

On Sunday 27 August 2017 11:55:47 Alan Corey wrote:

Back on the list Alan. Where it belongs.

> Hmm, interesting question.  With the Pi being open source except
> possibly the boot blob, somebody could make an enhanced version with
> the aim of making it as compatible as possible.  Not to say the rock64
> is, I don't know.
>
> Back in the 80s there was a clone of the Apple II called the
> Pineapple.  A professor at the college I was at bought one to save
> money so I got to spend some time with it, it was pretty good.  Ran
> all the same software, used the same plugin boards.  Of course Apple
> eventually sued them and won.  Then there's the IBM -> Compaq copyover
> which legend says the BIOS was written very carefully to do exactly
> the same thing as IBM's without looking at IBM's.  Which got copied
> all over the place to the point that hardly anybody buys IBM PCs
> anymore.
>
> But taking the Pi as a standard which could legally be copied and
> enhancing it, hmm.  They've evidently replaced the SOC which is the
> reason for the 1 gig RAM limit, it has no BIOS.  It could become the
> defacto Pi 4.  Will it run Raspbian?  I was looking for another Pi in
> the next few months anyway.

The raspian question is one I've not yet found the answer to.  If it
will, the gate just opened and the race is off to a good start. Unforch,
the next batch won't ship till the 6th of Sept.

I must resemble a lab rat, I sure get used for one often enough. ;-)

> On 8/27/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > What sort of problems due to internal architecture changes would I
> > encounter? Currently using an rt-prempt version of 4.4.4 kernel
> > labeled kernel7 since no later armhf/v7 kernel rt build has even
> > usable keyboard/mouse support, with or without the extra usb2 hub
> > for the dongles. This extra hub will be used in any event since the
> > box its mounted in will eventually be buttoned up, severely
> > restricting the range of the wireless dongles.
> >
> > This one is usable if rebooted repeatedly until it mostly works. But
> > you've got to be chewing kentucky's finest twist and holding your
> > mouth just so, otherwise it throws more keyboard/mouse events in the
> > trash than it responds properly to.  The potential for fixing this
> > is the driver for switching to a rock64.
> >
> > Suggestions as to where to src a suitable image for the rock64,
> > hopefully one compatible with the current rpspi.ko driver (available
> > as part of any recent linuxcnc install from buildbot.linuxcnc.org
> > for armhf's, since except for keyboard/mouse, video(hdmi,mali
> > drivers a huge plus) and LAN net stuffs, all other i/o is thru the
> > gpio for this application, will be investigated.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)