Re: Errors and crash while (re-)installing Debian on TS-421

Adding Timo to merge with the "QNAP TS-419P Stretch ATA errors" thread.

On Fri, 2017-07-07 at 19:05 +0200, Rob J. Epping wrote:
> A quick me too.
>
> My TS-221 has very similar issues <https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2016/10/msg00041.html>
>
> To me it seems the change from kirkwood to Marvell flavour triggered this for the 6282 SOC.
>
> My TS-219 with a 6281 SOC has no issues with recent stretch kernels.

Unfortunately my spare test/debug TS-419 is an "mvebu-soc-id: MVEBU SoC
ID=0x6281, Rev=0x2" based system and it does appear to be working fine
with the Stretch marvell flavour kernel (4.9.30-2+deb9u2), with
qcontrol, both Ethernet ports & SATA all appearing fine at first glance
(enough to run "apt update && apt upgrade" for example).

I do have another TS-4xx "Kirkwood: MV88F6282-Rev-A1" but it is in
(home) production use and I've not had a chance to upgrade it yet (and
I don't expect I will for a little while yet).

There is another earlier report from Moritz with an older kernel at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2016/08/msg00049.html too.

Moritz, I don't suppose you are able to grab a full dmesg or serial log
rather than the syslog you provided at the start of the thread?

Is anyone able to try the 4.11 kernel from Buster/Sid on a bad/6282
system? Unfortunately there is no stretch-backports kernel yet, but in
general pulling in just the kernel and a few dependent packages (e.g.
linux-base) from testing is pretty safe (although caveat: I've not
tried it with the current set of packages). Alternatively it looks as
if the Debian Installer daily images have switched to 4.11 already so
downloading and booting something from https://d-i.debian.org/daily-ima
ges/armel/daily/kirkwood/ would, I hope, be useful/informative (Moritz,
since you are trying a reinstall perhaps you could do this).

If we can get a full dmesg from a 4.11 test then that would be
something we could take to the upstream marvell/kirkwood/arm kernel
developers for further help.

I've had a grep through the kernel git logs but nothing leaps out at me
as related.

Cheers,
Ian.