Re: piclone needs "blank" sd card.

Hey, did you ever get your hard drive working?  I just did mine, used
piclone to copy my SD to it and (eventually) I'm up and running.  I
had to change 2 things (on the hard drive) to point to the hard drive
instead of the SD:  /boot/cmdline.txt and /etc/fstab  Clone onto it
first, then mount partitions to edit files on it.

Full writeup at
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=186761&p=1179003#p1179003

I did the onetime programming thing to enable USB boot and I have a
recent bootcode.bin.  And I suspect a lot of wasted time updating
everything else.  Still the same Jessie image I spent 10 days
downloading last summer, with updates.  I ran rpi-update to update
firmware.