Re: piclone needs "blank" sd card.

On Saturday 24 June 2017 16:42:57 Alan Corey wrote:

> Hey, did you ever get your hard drive working?  I just did mine, used
> piclone to copy my SD to it and (eventually) I'm up and running.  I
> had to change 2 things (on the hard drive) to point to the hard drive
> instead of the SD:  /boot/cmdline.txt and /etc/fstab  Clone onto it
> first, then mount partitions to edit files on it.
>
> Full writeup at
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=186761&p=11790
>03#p1179003

I think I saw that yesterday, but I'm up to my butt in malfunctioning
g-code ATM.  Worse, I am the original author, but before I can really
put this thing to work, I need to validate that it will run valid gcode,
any of it, that I throw at it.  But I just discovered that I need a
string variable in a conditional statement.  And linuxcnc does NOT have
such a critter that I know of. I can make it work, but it will take
about 20 more LOC, going the wrong direction in the LOC dept.  I like to
simplicate where I can.

So no, I've not tried it yet.

> I did the onetime programming thing to enable USB boot and I have a
> recent bootcode.bin.  And I suspect a lot of wasted time updating
> everything else.  Still the same Jessie image I spent 10 days
> downloading last summer, with updates.  I ran rpi-update to update
> firmware.

That bricked one of mine, worked on the other 2, fortunately I bought
3. :)

Thanks Alan.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)