Re: NextThing C.H.I.P. v1.0 - Debian Stretch Installer from USB

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 07:24:52AM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2017-06-21, Pablo Rath wrote:
> > As this is a rather long message I start with a brief summary:
> > I try to install Debian Stretch (Stable, armhf) with the Debian Installer on a
> > NextThing Chip v1.0 Allwinner board. After some initial problems I
> > managed to complete installation but as far as I understand the kernel
> > doesn't load the rootfs. I believe I am missing the correct U-Boot
> > commands. I use a self-compiled mainline U-Boot via sunxi-fel to
> > circumvent the U-Boot version on NAND provided by the manufacturer.
> > I am glad for any help to make the board boot Debian Stretch.
>
> I tried this a while back, but haven't tried recently as using sunxi-fel
> is a bit of a cumbersome boot process... and mainline u-boot didn't yet
> support being loaded from NAND on the CHIP. Haven't tried since u-boot
> 2016.11+dfsg1-3 in the u-boot-sunxi package in Debian.

I agree on the cumbersome boot process using sunxi-fel. On the other
hand you get an undisturbed CHIP OS based on Debian on NAND *and* a
vanilla Debian on USB.
I recently thought about buying a battery suitable for Chips battery port to supply the board with power while
changing from the host computer to a micro usb power supply. Afterwards
one can keep the board running to limit the rather tedious boot process with
sunxi-fel to a rare acceptable minimum.

Please let me know if you make progress with mainline u-boot loaded from
NAND on the CHIP.

kind regards
Pablo