Re: What is the recommended armhf disk partitioner for use on rotating media?

On Saturday 17 June 2017 11:12:06 Alan Corey wrote:

> I like parted or the gui version gparted, but I also have fdisk and
> sfdisk.  There's a live CD of gparted which can probably also be
> written to a USB stick or a small SD card in a reader.  Having it on
> an independent device means you can use it on about anything, from a
> new hard drive to an SD card.  Most of my old favorites won't deal
> with drives as big as 1 TB so I had to find something new.
>
>   https://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/
>
> Parted (not gui) looks like this:
>
> hp# parted
> GNU Parted 3.2
> Using /dev/sda
> Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
> (parted) print
> Model: ATA ST1000LM024 HN-M (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
> Partition Table: msdos
> Disk Flags:
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
>  1      1049kB  210GB   210GB   primary   ntfs
>  2      210GB   367GB   157GB   primary   ext4
>  3      367GB   1000GB  633GB   extended
>  5      367GB   401GB   33.6GB  logical   linux-swap(v1)
>  6      402GB   552GB   150GB   logical   ext2
>
> (parted) quit
I followed the instructions from the previous post, using fdisk, set it
to b wrote it, then did the mkfs.vfat to format it.

Rebooted the pi, /dev/sda1 was mounted as /media/pi, and the ext4
partition /dev/sda3 was mounted to /media/pi/_1.

But I ran into an rsync problem when I wanted to --exclude=/boot, it only
sent 49 bytes the first time, and only  40 bytes on try two.  So I
removed the --exclude, and its now copying / to /media/pi/_1/ at a
pretty decent speed for a pi with its usb2 speed limit to anything.

Once this has finished, I have a reader ready to plug in, with an even
faster 32Gb sd in it and I make probably the 20th attempt to use piclone
to make a backup sd card as I and another coder have about 6 weeks worth
of work we do not want to lose if this sd card goes tits down.  The
kernel being used for the previous tries had very short uptimes, and
piclone never got to the finish line.

Amanda has backed it up, so I have that as a last resort, but I want at
least 2 bare metal backups to protect the ground breaking work of
putting a pi to work running heavy metal via LinuxCNC in real time.

Oh fudge, rsync is in a recursive loop. Damn.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)