Re: What is the recommended armhf disk partitioner for use on rotating media?

On Saturday 17 June 2017 12:27:08 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 17 June 2017 11:12:06 Alan Corey wrote:
> > I like parted or the gui version gparted, but I also have fdisk and
> > sfdisk.  There's a live CD of gparted which can probably also be
> > written to a USB stick or a small SD card in a reader.  Having it on
> > an independent device means you can use it on about anything, from a
> > new hard drive to an SD card.  Most of my old favorites won't deal
> > with drives as big as 1 TB so I had to find something new.
> >
> >   https://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/
> >
> > Parted (not gui) looks like this:
> >
> > hp# parted
> > GNU Parted 3.2
> > Using /dev/sda
> > Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
> > (parted) print
> > Model: ATA ST1000LM024 HN-M (scsi)
> > Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
> > Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
> > Partition Table: msdos
> > Disk Flags:
> >
> > Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
> >  1      1049kB  210GB   210GB   primary   ntfs
> >  2      210GB   367GB   157GB   primary   ext4
> >  3      367GB   1000GB  633GB   extended
> >  5      367GB   401GB   33.6GB  logical   linux-swap(v1)
> >  6      402GB   552GB   150GB   logical   ext2
> >
> > (parted) quit
>
> I followed the instructions from the previous post, using fdisk, set
> it to b wrote it, then did the mkfs.vfat to format it.
>
> Rebooted the pi, /dev/sda1 was mounted as /media/pi, and the ext4
> partition /dev/sda3 was mounted to /media/pi/_1.
>
> But I ran into an rsync problem when I wanted to --exclude=/boot, it
> only sent 49 bytes the first time, and only  40 bytes on try two.  So
> I removed the --exclude, and its now copying / to /media/pi/_1/ at a
> pretty decent speed for a pi with its usb2 speed limit to anything.
>
> Once this has finished, I have a reader ready to plug in, with an even
> faster 32Gb sd in it and I make probably the 20th attempt to use
> piclone to make a backup sd card as I and another coder have about 6
> weeks worth of work we do not want to lose if this sd card goes tits
> down.  The kernel being used for the previous tries had very short
> uptimes, and piclone never got to the finish line.
>
> Amanda has backed it up, so I have that as a last resort, but I want
> at least 2 bare metal backups to protect the ground breaking work of
> putting a pi to work running heavy metal via LinuxCNC in real time.
>
> Oh fudge, rsync is in a recursive loop. Damn.

I solved that by copying the amanda excludes file to an rsync-excludes
file, then deleted the . in front of the amanda version of the string.
Seems to have worked.  Now to go see if I can make piclone work on this
kernel.

Thanks all, for the hand holding, its appreciated.

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)