Re: question on armhf color depth

On 10/04/17 02:30, Alan Corey wrote:
I think you can add entries to /etc/fb.modes but it's like making
old-style modelines, it takes lots of information.  And my old buddy
xvidtune doesn't work on a Pi.  But you're a tv guy.

Video modes have been causing me a great deal of pain over the last few weeks. I could say much more but will keep it short with just two comments to start with:

* Look at what's in your X log file and at /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes (should apply to most systems that use standard video).

* Use tvservice to get EDID info from your screen and feed it to edid-decode (systems other than RPi will have some different means of getting the binary EDID block, e.g. an Odroid uses a modified U-Boot).

It's obviously important though to distinguish between resolution/sync configuration and the colour depth, the latter being largely determined by available memory.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk