Re: question on armhf color depth

On Monday 10 April 2017 04:55:39 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> On 10/04/17 02:30, Alan Corey wrote:
> > I think you can add entries to /etc/fb.modes but it's like making
> > old-style modelines, it takes lots of information.  And my old buddy
> > xvidtune doesn't work on a Pi.  But you're a tv guy.
>
> Video modes have been causing me a great deal of pain over the last
> few weeks. I could say much more but will keep it short with just two
> comments to start with:
>
> * Look at what's in your X log file and at
> /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes (should apply to most systems that use
> standard video).
pi@raspberrypi:~/linuxcnc $ cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes
U:1366x768p-0
pi@raspberrypi:~/linuxcnc $

From the log:

[    12.657] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[    12.657] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[    12.657] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
--
[    12.780] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
[    12.780] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

How can these be fixed? The video's update rate sux.

> * Use tvservice to get EDID info from your screen and feed it to
> edid-decode (systems other than RPi will have some different means of
> getting the binary EDID block, e.g. an Odroid uses a modified U-Boot).
>
> It's obviously important though to distinguish between resolution/sync
> configuration and the colour depth, the latter being largely
> determined by available memory.

And 128 megs is not enough for 32 bit apparently. It (24 bit) also slows
rendering speed noticably.

Thanks Mark.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)