Re: question on armhf color depth

Color depth is a deep subject (couldn't resist).  Different windows
(every X program technically has it's own window) can run at different
depths even right next to each other.  Programs request a depth from X
or the window manager, not to mention a color map and graphics
context.  If you have xwininfo (command line program so it's not in
menus) try it a little:

pi2# xwininfo

xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
          would like information by clicking the
          mouse in that window.

xwininfo: Window id: 0x300008c "Gmail - question on armhf color depth
- Mozilla Firefox"

  Absolute upper-left X:  35
  Absolute upper-left Y:  65
  Relative upper-left X:  1
  Relative upper-left Y:  30
  Width: 1189
  Height: 870
  Depth: 24
  Visual: 0x21
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +35+65  -696+65  -696-145  +35-145
  -geometry 1189x870+34+35

The Pi seems to make more use of a frame buffer than machines with
separate video cards.  Devoting more RAM to the GPU in raspi-config
may have a little effect, I have 64 megs.  A frame buffer is
memory-mapped video you can actually write into.  fbset may show you
something:

pi2# fbset

mode "1920x1080"
    geometry 1920 1080 1920 1080 32
    timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
endmode

Tvservice probably won't tell you much useful:
tvservice -s
state 0x12000a [HDMI CEA (16) RGB lim 16:9], 1920x1080 @ 60.00Hz, progressive

I noticed a color depth problem early on which went away and I didn't
keep good enough notes to know what caused it.  I tend to attribute it
to more video RAM but I remember playing with fbset and /etc/fb.modes
(both have man pages).  I remember being sure I was seeing 16 bit
color instead of 24.  It's fine now, I'm in Gimp several times most
days, and I'd notice the banding across real-world color gradients
surfing the web.  I'm on this thing maybe 10-12 hours a day.  I still
have a couple i386 machines running but I find myself only using them
a few times a week lately.

Highlight detail might be gamma too.  If you look at real-world photos
of something like a face or an apple the transitions in color won't be
smooth with a lack of color depth.

On 4/9/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> Grettings all;
>
> raspbian jessie on a pi-3b.
>
> Specifically, can it be set to use more bits?
>
> Several of the programs I run on the pi, have much greater highlight
> detail when running on an x86 machine, and this lack of adequate color
> depth makes a pulldown menu lose its outline borders, so its difficult
> to see if the correct item is about to be clicked on.  I've trolled thru
> the setup menu's w/o finding such a configuration option that seems to
> affect this.
>
> Thanks all.
>
>  Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach