question on armhf color depth

Grettings all;

raspbian jessie on a pi-3b.

Specifically, can it be set to use more bits?

Several of the programs I run on the pi, have much greater highlight
detail when running on an x86 machine, and this lack of adequate color
depth makes a pulldown menu lose its outline borders, so its difficult
to see if the correct item is about to be clicked on.  I've trolled thru
the setup menu's w/o finding such a configuration option that seems to
affect this.

Thanks all.

 Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)