Re: xset +dpms is not controlling monitor powerdown on raspberry pi 3b

On Sunday 08 January 2017 13:19:42 Alan Corey wrote:

> My workaround is to leave the Pi on and only turn on the monitor when
> I sit down at it.  I used to love xscreensaver but it was impractical.
> Some of those "hacks" didn't exit cleanly.

tvervice doesn't sound all that usefull from here.

Another thing is that at bootup, the screensaver starts up instantly, and
it takes a tap on the spacebar to get the opening gui. Possibly a mouse
movement might kill it too, but the mouse is currently sitting on a nema
34 motor to the left of the keyboard and down 4 inches, and the keyboard
is on the motormount bracket. Much handier to reach IOW.

I need to make a small table for both to live on, with a swarf deflecting
roof over it. Although this particular keyboard could be covered with
something like Saran Wrap if it was short stroke enough. But the angled
so the swarf slides off to the rear "roof" and a swing up cover over the
chuck that resembles a tire balancer's cover can go quite a ways toward
keeping the keyboard clean enough to work.

Only straight sided keytops allowed though. The usual tapered sided
keytop will let a piece of swarf follow the key down, then wedge it in
the down position & you get a run away motion if driving it by hand and
the key sticks down.

"Swarf" for the edification is the flying cuttings, usually steel, from
the cutting tool when its running.

Back on the topic of this thread, is this xscreensaver the default? Its
running, and I found the control file, and dpms was set false. I set it
to True just for S & G.

[...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)