Re: xset +dpms is not controlling monitor powerdown on raspberry pi 3b

For my raspberry pi I need to have a pause between server start and xset command:

My start script include commands:

sleep 20

$DISPLAY xset s noblank s off -dpms

My workaround is to leave the Pi on and only turn on the monitor when
I sit down at it.  I used to love xscreensaver but it was impractical.
Some of those "hacks" didn't exit cleanly.

pi2# tvservice
Usage: tvservice [OPTION]...
  -p, --preferred                   Power on HDMI with preferred settings
  -e, --explicit="GROUP MODE DRIVE" Power on HDMI with explicit GROUP
(CEA, DMT, CEA_3D_SBS, CEA_3D_TB, CEA_3D_FP, CEA_3D_FS)
                                      MODE (see --modes) and DRIVE (HDMI, DVI)
  -t, --ntsc                        Use NTSC frequency for HDMI mode
(e.g. 59.94Hz rather than 60Hz)
  -c, --sdtvon="MODE ASPECT"        Power on SDTV with MODE (PAL or
NTSC) and ASPECT (4:3 14:9 or 16:9)
  -o, --off                         Power off the display
  -m, --modes=GROUP                 Get supported modes for GROUP (CEA, DMT)
  -M, --monitor                     Monitor HDMI events
  -s, --status                      Get HDMI status
  -a, --audio                       Get supported audio information
  -d, --dumpedid <filename>         Dump EDID information to file
  -j, --json                        Use JSON format for --modes output
  -n, --name                        Print the device ID from EDID
  -h, --help                        Print this information
pi2#

On 1/8/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 08 January 2017 12:52:01 Alan Corey wrote:
>
>> No luck with that here either, it would be very handy to have.  But
>> then I'm using an HDMI->VGA adapter and my monitor is ancient.  I
>> think the standard was that when horizontal and vertical sync pulses
>> both go away the monitor's supposed to immediately switch off or after
>> a delay period.  An adapter shouldn't interfere with that.  Never
>> happens though.
>>
> Here it never happens, possibly because the screen savers fawncy graphics
> screen saver stuff never stops. pull the hdmi cable and it displays "no
> signal" in a floating box, and powers down in about 30 secs.
>
>> I installed some extra stuff (maybe, it was 6 months or more ago):
>>
>> pi2# apropos dpms
>> DPMSCapable (3)      - returns the DPMS capability of the X server
>> DPMSDisable (3)      - disables DPMS on the specified display
>> DPMSEnable (3)       - enables DPMS on the specified display
>> DPMSForceLevel (3)   - forces a DPMS capable display into the
>> specified power... DPMSGetTimeouts (3)  - retrieves the timeout values
>> used by the X server for ... DPMSGetVersion (3)   - returns the
>> version of the DPMS extension implemented ... DPMSInfo (3)         -
>> returns information about the current DPMS state DPMSQueryExtension
>> (3) - queries the X server to determine the availability o...
>> DPMSSetTimeouts (3)  - permits applications to set the timeout values
>> used by... pi2#
>> Some of those look like functions to be called from C in a program.
>> This is on a Pi 3B under Raspbian Jessie.
>>
>> Searching in the Pi forums for dpms gets a bunch of hits, but
>> different people are looking for different things like how to keep the
>> monitor always on. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/  I wanted to
>> turn it completely off, including the backlight.
>>
> Same here as I want the pi running 24/7 so amanda can back it up in the
> middle of the night.
>> My guess is that it has to do with the GPU and how well X functions
>> are/aren't implemented.  If you're in Raspbian take a look at
>> tvservice (no man page) which seems to be about the only thing that
>> connects to the GPU.  I just did tvservice --off and had to ssh in
>> from another box, short of rebooting.  Backlight was still on though.
> Even for an led backlight, thats a bit of a bummer. The whole monitor
> only uses 11 watts, but it sure advertises that its on.
>
>> Unplugging the monitor's power cord and plugging back in did nothing
>> so it didn't *really* turn the monitor off.  tvservice is also unique
>> in letting you change video modes on the fly, otherwise you need to
>> put a change into /boot/config.txt and reboot.  Straight Debian on a
>> Pi, I've no idea.
>>
>> X needs to talk to the GPU better.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> On 1/8/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
>> > Greetings folks;
>> >
>> > Running LXDE.
>> >
>> > And xset dpms q returns:
> [...]

Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX