Re: xset +dpms is not controlling monitor powerdown on raspberry pi 3b

On Sunday 08 January 2017 12:52:01 Alan Corey wrote:

> No luck with that here either, it would be very handy to have.  But
> then I'm using an HDMI->VGA adapter and my monitor is ancient.  I
> think the standard was that when horizontal and vertical sync pulses
> both go away the monitor's supposed to immediately switch off or after
> a delay period.  An adapter shouldn't interfere with that.  Never
> happens though.

Here it never happens, possibly because the screen savers fawncy graphics
screen saver stuff never stops. pull the hdmi cable and it displays "no
signal" in a floating box, and powers down in about 30 secs.

> I installed some extra stuff (maybe, it was 6 months or more ago):
>
> pi2# apropos dpms
> DPMSCapable (3)      - returns the DPMS capability of the X server
> DPMSDisable (3)      - disables DPMS on the specified display
> DPMSEnable (3)       - enables DPMS on the specified display
> DPMSForceLevel (3)   - forces a DPMS capable display into the
> specified power... DPMSGetTimeouts (3)  - retrieves the timeout values
> used by the X server for ... DPMSGetVersion (3)   - returns the
> version of the DPMS extension implemented ... DPMSInfo (3)         -
> returns information about the current DPMS state DPMSQueryExtension
> (3) - queries the X server to determine the availability o...
> DPMSSetTimeouts (3)  - permits applications to set the timeout values
> used by... pi2#
> Some of those look like functions to be called from C in a program.
> This is on a Pi 3B under Raspbian Jessie.
>
> Searching in the Pi forums for dpms gets a bunch of hits, but
> different people are looking for different things like how to keep the
> monitor always on. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/  I wanted to
> turn it completely off, including the backlight.

Same here as I want the pi running 24/7 so amanda can back it up in the
middle of the night.
> My guess is that it has to do with the GPU and how well X functions
> are/aren't implemented.  If you're in Raspbian take a look at
> tvservice (no man page) which seems to be about the only thing that
> connects to the GPU.  I just did tvservice --off and had to ssh in
> from another box, short of rebooting.  Backlight was still on though.
Even for an led backlight, thats a bit of a bummer. The whole monitor
only uses 11 watts, but it sure advertises that its on.

> Unplugging the monitor's power cord and plugging back in did nothing
> so it didn't *really* turn the monitor off.  tvservice is also unique
> in letting you change video modes on the fly, otherwise you need to
> put a change into /boot/config.txt and reboot.  Straight Debian on a
> Pi, I've no idea.
>
> X needs to talk to the GPU better.

Agreed.

> On 1/8/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > Greetings folks;
> >
> > Running LXDE.
> >
> > And xset dpms q returns:
> > DPMS (Energy Star):
> >   Standby: 450    Suspend: 600    Off: 900
> >   DPMS is Enabled
> >   Monitor is On
> >
> > At the end of its report, and the monitor was manually powered down
> > when I left the area around 6 pm last night, so it obviously has no
> > knowledge of the monitors real status.
> >
> > Is my install missing some utility X11 thing?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)