Re: Broadcom BCM2709, ARMv8, and missing CPU features

On 2016-07-28, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Alan Corey dijo [Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:22:23PM -0400]:
>> Huh?  I thought they claimed they were interchangeable.  I had an
>> image from my model B days 3 years ago that I booted on my 3B.  And I
>> cloned a working current 3B SD card and booted a Zero from it.  There
>> isn't a different Debian image for every brand of motherboard and CPU,
>> they probe to see what hardware is there.  I wouldn't expect older
>> images to contain drivers for newer hardware maybe.
> I'm far from an absolute expert in this area... But I am fairly
> certain of what I say — That is, I have a RPi 1 and 2B, and they
> cannot boot from the same images.

I believe they ship different kernels for different boards all on one
image. Or, at least (used to) ship an rpi1 and rpi2 kernel; not sure if
the rpi3 uses the same kernel as the rpi2 (possibly with a different
device-tree).

> Keep in mind it's not different Debian images we are talking about —
> "real" Debian cannot be booted on Raspberry hardware. I run a Debian
> userland on top of their provided kernel (with the mystery blobs to
> control its hardware), started by their mystery bootloader.

Well, I've got three Raspberry PI 2 boards running kernels shipped by
debian(either jessie-backports or experimental) and u-boot shipped by
debian, but it does require the the GPU firmware to bootstrap the CPU.

live well,
  vagrant