Native kernel build produces armhf on armel system

Hi,

The system is a qnap, kirkwood flavour.

I would previously build vanilla kernels with Debian's .config as
described in the Kernel Handbook (copy old config, make oldconfig,
make deb-pkg) and that worked well as of 4.4.1-1-exp1.

Yesterday I updated my system (including debian's kernel from
testing), downloaded vanilla 4.4.6 source and to my surprise make
deb-pkg ended up producing an uninstallable armhf build. Is this
somehow related to kirkwood->marvell transition? What should I do to
build a marvell kernel now?

Best regards,
Jan