Re: Native kernel build produces armhf on armel system

On Mon, 2016-03-21 at 11:31 +0100, JM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The system is a qnap, kirkwood flavour.
>
> I would previously build vanilla kernels with Debian's .config as
> described in the Kernel Handbook (copy old config, make oldconfig,
> make deb-pkg) and that worked well as of 4.4.1-1-exp1.
>
> Yesterday I updated my system (including debian's kernel from
> testing), downloaded vanilla 4.4.6 source and to my surprise make
> deb-pkg ended up producing an uninstallable armhf build. Is this
> somehow related to kirkwood->marvell transition?

I think it is related to:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=63a478fbc05cb0627b0a33a69f3aed8dcb965953
and the fact that the armel/marvell flavour has CONFIG_VFP set now
which breaks the heuristic used there.

armel/kirkwood had it disabled, but armel/orion5x had it enabled, so
the merge of the two took the superset (which was the right thing to
do). armel/orion5x had always had it enabled AFAICT.

>  What should I do to
> build a marvell kernel now?

You can set KBUILD_DEBARCH=armel on the make deb-pkg command line to
override it.