Re: Re: Re: [Reproducible-builds] Raspi 3 suitable for arm64

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 05:46:10PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>
>> Ugh, *no*. It's firmware supplied with the system. It lives under grub
>> and provides standard interfaces.
>
>ISTR a discussion on this list about flashing system firmware and the
>consensus was that yes we should do it where possible. I think the
>discussion was mostly about u-boot, but the same applies to other
>types of firmware. What changed in the meantime?

U-Boot varies massively from board to board and *doesn't* provide
standard interfaces. Those are major problems when you're trying to
give a consistent user experience for booting. On the various small
embedded platforms where people are recommending to replace U-Boot,
it's often (but not always) easy to replace it if you make a mistake
(swap SD card, etc.).

UEFI is explicitly specified to give standard interfaces with
reliable, known behaviour across different implementations. It's often
*not* easily user-replaceable (just like on x86 servers) and we should
not be buggering with it once it works.

We don't need no education.
We don't need no thought control.